I’ve tested a fair few of them out, but when I first started seeing pop up tents, well, popping up at campsites I wasn’t quite sure what to make of them.
Do pop up tents really work? Are pop up tents OK for camping? And can pop up tents withstand rain?
I love trying new things out, especially camping tents, so I thought I’d give them a go on a quick weekend getaway to Habitat Noosa, and boy was I pleasantly surprised!
We’re all about travellin’ lite here, so with something like an instant pop up tent, there’s no fuss and no messing around. You arrive, you get setup, and you can be kicking back in no time at all. That’s what we love about a good pop up tent; camping becomes even easier and more enjoyable!
So, now you’re in the market for a pop up camping tent, and which is the best pop up tent Australia has to offer?
Well, I’ve tried a fair few of them out and these are the ones that really stand out for me.
Our Picks From The Best Pop Up Camping Tents In Australia:
Our Pick - 4 Person Pop Up Tent
Our top pick is the Outdoor Connection Easy Up 4 Pop Up Tent. It’s the ‘new kid on the block’, and with that you get:
- Set it up in a flash (we're talking less than a minute, seriously)
- Totally rainproof (and not like those bargain pop up tents)
- Breezy with plenty of side openings (keep it cool on warm days)
- No-See-Um mesh (bye-bye bugs)
- Three size options (for 4, 3, or 2 people)
- Top-notch quality (will stick around for the long haul)
Our Pick - 2 Person Tent
If you struggle to sleep without pitch black conditions but still want a super-fast pop up tent, the Planet Earth Speedy Black Hole model is exactly what you’re looking for!
- Get setup in minutes (speedy by name, speedy by nature)
- Black fly fabric and black inner polyester work together to keep the light out (hello, sleep!)
- Comfortable and roomy (for 2 or for 3)
- Lightweight for size at just 3.5kg (no issues on hikes)
- Includes rope LED lights in the ceiling (perfect for a bit of light or comfort)
- Side windows for ventilation (stay cool on sweaty days)
The Best Instant Pop Up Tents Australia For 2023 – Comparison Table
Whether you just want a small pop up tent, large pop up tent or just the fastest pop up tent out there, we’ve got it right here.
Keep reading for all you need to know to make an informed decision that will work for you.
Best 4 Person Pop Up Tent
Best 2 Person Pop Up Tent
Best Budget Pop Up Tent
- Performs well in both sunny and rainy weather
- Plenty of side openings for great ventilation
- High quality, durable and ultra reliable
- Comes in 2-4 person variations
- Slightly tricky initially to pack away
- Inner/Outer design keeps light out
- Handles various weather conditions with ease
- LED light pull-string in the ceiling
- Comes in 3-4 person variations
- Too spacious for two people?
- Spacious, convenient, durable
- Quick setup and sturdy structure
- Handles sun and rain with ease
- Great ventilation and extra storage space
- Slightly awkward closing system but manageable
- Easy setup
- Ideal for summer camping
- Suitable for short trips
- Great as a beach shelter as well
- Additional sunshade might be necessary for very sunny conditions
- Tricky to fold back into its carry bag
What Exactly Is A Pop Up Tent?
All the poles are built into the tent, and simply need clicking into line, although some even come with flexible poles that are in one piece and don’t even need clicking together.
Instant tents (as some people call them) can be set up in mere minutes and usually it takes longer to peg the tent down than it does to set it up. That’s the main difference between these and family tents for example where you need a bit more time to setup with the poles and tarp.
These tents are usually made of a nylon/polyester material which does a good job of keeping you dry but can heat up pretty quickly.
Benefits of Owning the Best Pop Up Tent Australia?
Sure, if you have a huge budget, you might think a super fancy, expensive tent with all the bells and whistles is the way to go. But who is going to set that tent up? And how much is it going to weigh?
You might be surprised by how far pop up tents have come in recent years. Gone are the days of the dodgy Kmart beach shelter. Now, there are some big brands in the camping gear space that make durable, high quality pop up tents.
What to Consider when looking for the Best Pop Up Tents In Australia?
Size & number of people
However, this is a measurement of the amount of people that can fit sleeping side by side in the tent. So, in a 4 person pop up tent, four people can lay side by side to sleep. This doesn’t leave much room for comfort and, as any seasoned camper will tell you, it can be a bit of a squeeze.
If you just want something lightweight and you’ll simply be throwing it up for overnight on a hiking trip or similar going for the right “person size” to people might work.
For example, if you’re heading on a family camping trip and want the best pop up tent for 4 people, I’d recommend buying a 6 person pop up tent.
Type of use
- Are you just getting something to use as a beach tent for the day?
- Do you just need an extra tent for emergencies or somewhere for the kids to sleep?
- Or is it for your hiking trips, where you’ll be carrying it with you all day?
- Maybe, you like camping out bush at the weekends?
How you intend to use the tent will determine what type you need. Hikers might want the lightest tent possible that is easy to set up alone. That can be a simple 2 person pop up tent or one of the many swags available.
Whereas families who have week long or weekend camping trips will have comfort at the top of their priorities list. An easy pop up tent with a good camping mattress makes a big difference.
Frequency of use
If it’s something that gets used once or twice a year, you might not need to spend as much money or get something quite as robust.
If you plan on using your pop up tent every single weekend or every other week, you might want to invest a few more dollars to get something seriously high quality that you can be sure will last.
Other Features to Consider
- Weatherproofing: Not all pop up tents are made equal and some definitely have better weatherproofing than others.
- Weight: The best pop up tent for camping is always going to be fairly lightweight but it’s worth checking the weight to be sure.
Our Pick - Best 4 Person Pop Up Tent
If all you need is the easiest and fastest pop up tent, the Outdoor Connection Easy Up could be the best choice for you.
This is one of the fastest pop up tents for those who want as little time to set up as possible. Simple unzip the carry case, open the buckle, throw the tent out and peg down. It’s a super easy set up and could easily be done alone.
This is a 4 person pop up tent but does also come in a 3 person or 2 person pop up tent option. The 4 person tent measures 2.6m by 2.85m so it would be a great option for a couple who love to camp and there would be plenty of space. One of the best features of this tent is how lightweight it is at just 5.8kg!
This option isn’t just fast and simple to set up though, it’s also really good quality and all the seams are heat taped for extra weatherproofing. There is great ventilation throughout with a large entrance and window mesh opening.
Other features include extra privacy ventilation panels at the bottom of the tent to allow for extra air flow without people being able to see inside and UVProtek treatment to stop deterioration from UV.
- Holds up nicely under sun or showers
- Lots of side windows for breezy air circulation
- Top-notch, sturdy and super dependable
- Available in options for 2-4 people
- A bit of a challenge to stow away at first
Our Pick - Best 2 Person Tent
This tent has the same great pop out set up as the previous tents and can be set up in mere minutes. However, the added bonus here is the black backed fly fabric and black inner polyester which work together to keep the light out!
The sleeping area measures about 2.4m x 2m and this 3 person pop up tent could comfortably house 2 people for extended trips. It weighs just 3.5kg, so carrying it long distances won’t be an issue either.
This tent even includes rope LED lights in the ceiling that are powered by a USB battery adaptor or can use a standard battery bank. An easy way to get a bit of extra light if you need to get up in the night or for kids who need some extra comfort.
Other features include fully taped seams, reflective guide ropes, internal storage pockets and side windows for ventilation.
- Design helps block out light effectively
- Effortlessly copes with diverse weather scenarios
- Features a ceiling pull-string for LED light
- Available in variations for 3-4 individuals
- A tad too roomy for a duo?
Our Pick - Best Budget Pop Up Tent
When you want to be setup as quickly as possible so you can maximise time in the outdoors, the Weisshorn 4-5 Person Instant Up Camping Tent is a great option.
Not only is it a breeze to set up, it packs a punch with how spacious it is at a budget-friendly price.
Crafted from waterproof and UV-resistant material, it's got your back whether the sun's blazing or rain's pouring. Did I mention the superb ventilation and that extra front storage for your gear? Perfect for campers who crave space without burning a hole in their pocket.
Most times you get what you pay for, but this tent gives you incredible value with how sturdy and reliable it is.
When all you want is fuss-free camping that is reliable and durable, so you can enjoy your trip without worrying about the tent, then this is a great option to look at.
Check it out!
- Roomy, handy, and robust
- Effortless assembly with a resilient build
- Takes both sunshine and showers in stride
- Excellent air circulation plus added room for storage
- Closing mechanism can be a bit tricky but workable
The OZtrail Pod Pop Up 3 Person Tent is so easy to set up, which makes it a great camping companion. Simply take the tent out of the bag and watch it form.
This tent measures 238L x 203W cm and can accommodate up to 3 people comfortably. Made of silver-coated, 100% ripstop polyester, the polyester fly protects you from the rain with its 1000mm waterhead and the detachable cap cover helps to keep you dry and adds extra protection.
For better access, this pop-up tent features a large-sized door, while the mesh ceiling panel helps to adjust indoor temperatures and increase ventilation.
The guy rope attachment hooks that have been provided for greater stability in case of heavy winds.
At only 3.1kg, this tent is a lightweight option for budget-conscious campers that want to keep it simple for short getaways.
- Sets up in a jiffy
- Small-scale but handy
- Featherweight but tough
- Best for fair-weather outings
- Not ideal for extended trips
- Might struggle in a downpour
The Pavillo Cool Mount 2 Person Pop Up Tent is a lightweight, easy-to-setup option that is perfect for a quick trip.
Its single-layer construction and ventilation window make it a suitable choice for summer camping, while its robust fiberglass poles and rain-resistant design ensure protection and durability.
Best part about this 2 person pop up tent? It’s ready to use in just three minutes.
It has 3 openings; an entrance and two large windows with insect mesh covering for better ventilation.
It has a durable fiberglass pole structure for easy pitching and folding. With an inner pocket to keep your personal items in place. The seams are waterproof and it is made of fire retardant material.
When you want a no-fuss, simple yet functional option for a short trip, this is a great option that accommodates 2 people easily.
- Setup is a breeze
- Perfect for summer getaways
- Lightweight and no-fuss
- Versatile enough for a daytrip to the beach
- In extra sunny spots, you might want more shade
- Packing it back up can be a bit fiddly
I’ll start by acknowledging this is not a true ‘pop-up tent’. ?We’ve included the Northstar Instant Up 6 range of tents, because they would be one of the best quick set up tents for overnight and short stopovers. It’s high quality, durable and doesn’t get as hot as other options.
This is a fast frame tent, and it can take as little as two minutes to get set up thanks to its integrated pre-attached frame. The really special thing about this tent is the dark room patented fabric treatment that blocks up to 95% of sunlight and can keep the interior approximately 5oC cooler than untreated tents!
This is a 6 person pop up tent but it’s a comfortable tent for 4 people and the inside measures 3.3m by 2.6m. This tent isn’t as lightweight as some other choices and weighs about 20kg but it is extra durable. As with other Coleman instant up tent options, the Northstar has welded floors and inverted seams to help keep water out and a rainfly with easy Velcro frame attachments. Not bad!
The tent height is 190cm, so no crawling around on your hands and knees. It’s perfect for overnight or short stopovers.
Other features include a front two pole awning for extra shade, ultra fine mesh throughout, internal storage hammock and organisers and a heavy duty carry bag for added protection.
If you’re looking for the best quality pop up tent, Coleman are a brand that can be trusted to deliver.
Click here to read more reviews and check the current price.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are pop up tents good for camping?
How to fold a pop up tent?
Every pop up tent is a bit different in how to fold it up, and usually a quick search on YouTube will reveal some good instructions to follow for your specific camping tent. Generally though it involves pushing the sides of the tent into the support poles that give it its structure. Then folding it in half and rotating slightly to make a circle.
What is the largest pop up tent available?
How to Put Up a Pop Up Tent by Yourself?
Simply take out of the case and they literally “pop” open. The best tip I can give is to place something heavy like a camping esky inside the tent while you secure it to the ground.